Life is a bit busy for me right now with my mom visiting from Michigan so today I am going to link you to a great piece written by Brandon Alleman titled Why You Can’t Lose Weight. Brandon also has a blog/website titled Conscious Heath and Performance which you might want to check out. Brandon describes himself as a CHEK practitioner and a holistic health practitioner (the CHEK Institute offers different kinds of certifications, but in general looks at health as a whole, from healthy eating, to lifestyle management and exercise).
Brandon’s piece outlines fourteen (yes!) different things to consider if you are having difficulty with weight loss. I like this piece because it reminds you that there are a lot of components to effective weight loss (which is why people have so much difficulty with it). Here is a quick outline of Brandon’s reasons ~ please read the article as it isn’t all that long and it provides further information about each of these “roadblocks.”
1. Poor relationship with food. I think too many people overlook this. Food is not the enemy when trying to lose weight, which is how I think a lot of people start to look at it. I recently read something about Gwyneth Paltrow in Self Magazine. They were using her as an example of someone fit and healthy and she was quoted as saying she had a “happy relationship with food.” And yet within the piece she said that if she was eating too much pie she would make herself work out 6 days a week for 2 hours a day for two weeks. Sorry, but to me that smacks of an unhealthy relationship with food!
2. Poor nutrition. I like the acronym that Brandon discusses (that he stole from Dr. Sherri Rogers) ~ stop eating CRAP. C=caffiene, cola and corn, R=refined foods and white rice, A=additives and alcohol and P=processed foods and pasteurized dairy.
3. Wrong Exercise.
4. You are doing way to much cardio. Points number 3 & 4 are related. I have previously discussed the “too much cardio, not enough weights” on my blog. Brandon also has another blog post entirely devoted to this called “Why Cardio Sucks.” Definitely worth a read, especially if you like to log all of your exercise on the cardio deck at the gym.
5. You are cutting calories or skipping meals. While calories are important when trying to lose weight cutting your calories drastically will only lead to very short-term results. Cutting calories too much actually will make it more difficult to lose weight and will make it highly unlikely you will be able to stick with your “diet” for very long (and everyone around you will hate you as you will be ultra cranky).
6. Poor Attitude and/or stinkin’ thinkin’. Basically, have a positive attitude.
7. Lack of Quiet Time. As I mentioned above, Brandon is a holistic practitioner. I have to admit quiet time is something I never do…might give it a try.
8. Adrenal fatigue. Read Brandon’s article here…out of my area of expertise.
9. Thyroid dysfunction. I am no expert on this, but I do have to say I think a lot of people think they have a thyroid problem and blame their inability to lose weight on thyroid problems…I’m not so convinced.
10. Hormonal Imbalances. Again, not my area of expertise.
11. Poor Detoxification Capacity. Read what Brandon has to say.
12. Poor Sleep. I think Brandon is spot on here…but I have to admit I do not get enough sleep.
13. You have no purpose. Again, coming from Brandon’s more holistic approach.
14. You make poor choices. Again, a more holistic way of looking at weight loss, but also recognizing that some people just do not understand proper nutritional choices and lifestyle management. Given that our government continues to dispense incorrect nutritional advice, it’s no wonder.
Anyway, I think Brandon’s article is definitely worth a read, especially if you are trying to lose weight or are having difficulty in doing so. I think his approach points out that a lot of things can factor into your success, and you need to consider many aspects of your lifestyle when trying to achieve effective weight loss.